Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

コピーしないでください!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What Makes You Feel Sentimental?


Tomoya Okazaki, protagonist of Clannad Photo Credits


In our workplace, we have a so-called “Up-training”, a thirty-minute daily activity for each team where we could share some insights, games, pronunciation/grammar training and others and yesterday did not have any difference.


We had an impromptu speaking activity. Our trainer randomly selected one of the members in our team by means of sortition or “draw lots” or “bunutan” in Tagalog. Afterwards, this lucky person would pick a card with a question written on it, read it in front of everybody and answer in two minutes.
The questions are about various topics which are mostly about our views in life.


After my two lucky teammates, my name had been picked. It was my turn. Like what they did, I chose a card and read the question which was “What makes you feel sentimental?”


My brain went blank...Sentimental...sentimental. And I asked, “What does sentimental mean?” to which they replied “emotional”. Oh yes, I remembered. According to the dictionary, “sentimental” means “weakly emotional” and this is associated with dramas, cryings and sad stories.


I couldn't say anything. Normally, I have a lot of things to say, but at that time, I couldn't say anything. Did my memories of emotional or memorable events shut down completely, or I just did not have the guts to say anything? Thinking that I had been wasting almost two minutes of my alloted time, I just said “ The last time that I became emotional or sentimental was when I watched Fullmetal Alchemist” and a roar of laughter burst inside the training room.


It might sound strange but my statement is an absolute truth and I am not ashamed of it. I watched it more than three times, and every time I did, I had always been crying , especially on the episode that brothers Ed and Al tried to resurrect their mother by means of human transmutation. Aside from this, when one of the supporting characters named Lt. Col. Maes Hughes had been murdered made me cry like a child, especially when he was buried and his three-year old daughter cried and shouted “Please don't bury my Daddy!”. Just like what my husband said “Bato ka kung hindi ka mata-'touch' ”.
Some heartbreaking scenes from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood


It might be strange for non-anime lovers that my views in life had been influenced by anime (take note: anime is different from cartoons, just Google it :-) ). Fullmetal Alchemist taught me to value life and time, because once they are gone, we can never have them again. Clannad, a story of a stubborn young man, taught me that family members and friends are the ones who build a big family (DAI KAZOKOU). Naruto Shippuden, one of the longest running anime, taught me a lot of things: to rely on friends and not just on my own, to discover and utilize my skills to its fullest not only for my own benefit but for others as well, and to be thankful for your parents, siblings,friends, mentors and lovers because there are some people who had never experienced love from others. On the other hand, Rurouni Kenshin or Samurai X, a story of a murderer turned into a wanderer, taught me not to dwell in my bitter past and mistakes, but rather consider each day an opportunity to do something good. Finally, although we sometimes want to put justice in our own hands, Death Note reminds me that there is someone who is more powerful than us who has the right to judge each of us on earth. Well, I just picked the first five among my favorite animations which had made me feel sentimental.

I treasure a lot of stuff given by people who are dear to me. Most of the times, it's very difficult for me to throw away my old clothes, shoes, toys or cards from others. In fact, I am still keeping the letters that my students gave me on my last day of my OJT (take note: 2006 pa 'yun ha?).  I don't forget the special days and experiences that I had with them. Well, if these things define what being "sentimental" is, then I am sentimental.

How Sentimental are You?
However, based on the reactions of my co-workers, they would like to hear something more from me.


I think my co-workers wanted me to share something I experienced which made me cry in the past, like trust-betrayal issues, family issues, separation, and other not-so-painful memories which I refused to share 


with them, mainly because I might sound badmouthing my family and friends whom I share these memories with. Though not all sentimental moments were bad, the ones that a person's brain could easily remember are the bitter ones. Although some of my close co-workers know about my life and past struggles, I chose not to broadcast any information to the entire team; some close friends are enough. Just because I greet most people at the workplace doesn't mean I completely trust all of them. I had been betrayed by some people in the past; it would still be better to keep some for myself. Also. co-workers come and go; some would eventually forget you once they resign, and there are some who'd just treat you well when you're around them. And yes, this issue makes me sentimental, an issue that I chose not to divulge anymore due to obvious reasons.


After another person had been called, some said I should have told them something about my parents, especially my father, because the person next to me was asked to describe her dad to which she couldn't help but to cry. How I wished I have gotten this question instead, because I have a lot of good memories with my dear father. 

ぢや ね!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment